First of all, I must say that I do not approve of this sort of experiments. Not at all.
Still, this story is worth learning from:
If someone puts a frog into a pot of very hot water, the frog will jump out of the pot. BUT, if one puts the frog into a pot of cool water, and then heats it up very, very slowly, the frog will not jump out – it will allow itself to be boiled!
Because the temperature is increasing so slowly, there is no ‘trigger’ to signal the danger in the frog…so the frog takes no action to avoid it!
When it comes to our rights and freedoms, we are a lot like these frogs: because our rights are being eroded very, very slowly, we just sit there and allow it to go on and on and on, without lifting a finger to try and preserve the very rights and freedoms which define our society.
Because the process of erosion of our rigthts is so slow and gradual, we lack the ‘trigger’, that one ‘oppression’ which is, on its own, worth standing up and starting to fight!
And that is, in a very real way, true. No single little encroachment on our rights, no new little oppression, is, by itself, so big that it alone would be worthy of a ‘revolt‘. That is why it is so easy to ridicule those who get incensed about it!
But it is the continuous process of steady and unmistakable – and, it seems, unavoidable – usurption of our rights, encroachment on our freedoms, which is going to leave us slaves of The State:
- The State will control what we can spend all of our money on (they will tax just about all our disposable income and only give us ‘tax-rebates’ to buy the products they ‘approve’: an ‘allowance’ which we will only ‘get’ if we spend it ‘the right way’)
- The State will control what medical care is warranted, and when, and who maybenefit from it and who may not (many ‘smokers’ are already being denied medical treatment…just the tip of the iceberg: the justification that ‘we are all paying into Medicare, so we have the right what ‘risks’ to your health you must avoid’ will be used more and more to control people’s private behaviour, threatening to deny medical treatment to those who do not comply) (OK – I worded this badly…I am trying to get across that The State already does, and will do so more and more, use the justification that it is ‘paid into by’ everyone’ – so ‘everyone’ has the responsibily to only use it ‘wisely’ – and since they are administering it, they get to decided what is ‘using it wisely’ ‘ to weild ‘Medicare’ as a means of controlling more and more of our behaviours.)
- The State already controls what we may or may not eat/put into our body – and these laws are becoming more and more intrusive, and will continue this trend
- The State is passing more and more laws which erode private property rights and regulate how we may or may not behave while we are ‘in our private homes’
- The State already controls education
- More and more people are becoming directly or indirectly employed by The State, as The State is increasingly usurping the roles of private businesses: this gives The State even more intrusive control over the populationwhile effectively suppressing dissent (most people are afraid to ‘bite the hand that feeds them’)
- The State is increasingly controlling what we may or may not say – and has even, through its singularly misnamed ‘Human Rights Commissions/Tribunals’ – found a way to punish people for thinking forbidden thoughts!
- …the list goes on and on and on…
And because each tiny little step is so small, we are letting it happen!
We should pay attention to the ‘frog in hot water’ story, before it is too late to ‘jump out of the pot’!