This is just beyond the pale!
To the best of my understanding, this is the order of ‘relevant’ events:
- Boeing builds planes in its Seattle, WA, plant – in a unionized environment
- in 2008, there is some labour unrest, during which Boeing publicly speculates about relocating the plant to a ‘right-to-work’ state
- the Seattle plant is not relocated – to the contrary, it is running at full tilt
- Boeing needs to make more planes and builds a new plant for $2Billion – locating in in South Carolina….which happens to be ‘right-to-work’ state
- AFTER the plant is built and ready to hire 1,000 people, Obama’s National Labour Relations Board (NLRB) shuts the whole thing down because they deem it to be an anti-union move – and therefore ILLEGAL
That is right!
The plant is not ‘unsafe’ – for either the workers or the environment…
The labour unions are miffed that it is located in a state where they are not permitted to have a monopoly in the workplace: so NLRB says that opening the plant would be illegal!!!
And you wonder why employers are not flocking into the US?!?!?
‘National Economic Suicide’ is a correct assessment:
The NLRB simply said that it could block Boeing from using the new plant as Boeing’s decision to locate it in South Carolina was in part based on a desire to avoid work stoppages and strikes, and this rationale was harmful to unions and thus an illegal act.
In related news: at this point in time, there is not enough stuff – publicly AND privately owned – in the USA to pay off the US debt; perhaps it is now Mathematically impossible to pay the debt off!