As most Canadians are aware, the ‘Steyn verdict’ came out yesterday: Steyn and Macleans have been acquitted. If you are not aware of the situation:
- Macleans is Canada’s oldest news magazine.
- Macleans reprinted, as an article, an excerpt from ‘America Alone’, a book by Mark Steyn.
- In this excerpt, Mark Steyn quotes a Norwegian Imam as saying that (I am paraphrasing) Muslims will win Europe without ever raising the sword, because they will outbreed the indigenous Europeans.
- The term the Imam used was that ‘Muslims are breeding like mosquitoes’…
- There was never a question that this is an accurate quote, the Imam has confirmed saying this
- Despite this, 3 different ‘courts’ – Human Rights Commissions/Tribunals in Canada have charged Steyn/Macleans for ‘spreading hate against Muslims’ for pritnitn this quote.
- The Human Rights ‘courts’ do not follow the rigorous rules and procedures of a regular court, but their rulings are no less binding. And, ‘double jeopardy’ (in this case, triple), where a person can only be charged once per offence, do not apply, nor does ‘innocent until proven guilty’, nor is truthfulness of the comment an acceptable defence: they do not decide truthfullness, but ‘hurtfulness’ of a comment.
- Their defence bill (not reimbursable, not allowed to even sue to be reimbursed for court costs) has topped 7 figures.
So, finally, yesterday, they were aquitted of the charges. Here is an MP3 podcast of an interview where Mr. Steyn describes the experience in his own words. Here’s the audio [mp3] (via Western Standard’s shotgun blog)